Collecting antique cloth dolls needs high degree of experience and research in cloth doll making. A rare cloth doll collection can be based on one’s engrossed childish desires or interest in relics. Furnishing an authentic antique cloth doll collection needs unfailing observation and analysis. Obviously not everyone is born veteran, so how to spot a genuine antique cloth doll and not get duped for restored dolls? Here are few tips from www.dollhousecollectibles.com, which will guide you in shaping a rare antique cloth doll collection:
- See as much cloth dolls as possible visit museums, doll archives, exhibitions, dollhouse shops, private collections etc. Find a thread to the dolls’ history; take assistance of reference books, photographs, catalogues, brochures, labels stitched onto it.
- Examine each antique cloth doll carefully for its authenticity and status of originality.
- Probe other materials to augment you collection. Create a backup of photographs, literature, paintings etc. featuring antique cloth dolls.
- Don’t settle down for restored dolls. Substandard repairs plummets the credibility of doll.
- Get proofs of provenance & age of antique cloth dolls on paper, duly signed.
- Check out clothing, make sure its original and not redressed. Original clothing is an apparent indicator of period and civilization.
- Scrutinize the inner hems and folds carefully; the colour is brighter on the inner end. An even colored doll is supposedly redressed.
- Study the stitching patterns. Is it a chain stitch or lock stitch? Chain stitch signifies a previous origin. Is it machine sewn or needle sewn?
- Dolls march abreast with ever-changing trends of fashion and beauty. Study the transition from period over another. Earlier cloth dolls had broader shapes. The cloth patterns, colours etc changed from century to century, civilization to civilization. You will realize this instantly as you come across few antique cloth dolls.